The Hillcrest Community Civic Association has been advocating for a livable, walkable community through traffic calming and reducing through traffic on neighborhood roads. Last year the District Department of Transportation embarked on the "Far Southeast Livability Study" to examine a holistic approach to improving transportation. The goals of the study were to:
- Devise a neighborhood-wide and comprehensive approach to implementing traffic calming and other safety measures;
- Identify specific issues, such as reducing vehicle speeds, and locations that impact the safety of pedestrians, motorists, bicyclists, and transit riders
- Design cost-effective and system-wide improvements, with measurable benchmarks for success;
- Study truck travel within the target area and recommend ways to mitigate its impact on neighborhoods;
- Emphasize safety measures and improve access near public facilities including: schools, churches, parks, recreational centers and others key community service providers.
If you have any questions or concerns prior to the meeting, please contact Veronica O. Davis, the HCCA Street, Traffic and Transportation Chair, via email email@example.com or phone 301-233-0011.